When it comes to creating a custody agreement, having a template can save time and ensure that all necessary information is included. For those residing in Alberta, Canada, there are a variety of custody agreement templates available.
First and foremost, it is important to note that custody agreements in Alberta are governed by the Family Law Act. This act outlines the legal requirements for custody agreements, including the need for both parents to have a say in major decisions regarding the child and the importance of the child`s best interests being the primary consideration.
With that in mind, there are several custody agreement templates available online that comply with the Family Law Act and are specific to Alberta. These templates may vary slightly in format and content, but generally include the following:
– Introduction: This section outlines the purpose of the agreement and provides basic information about the child(ren) involved.
– Custody and access: This section outlines the agreed-upon custody arrangement (e.g. sole custody, joint custody) and specifies the access schedule for the non-custodial parent.
– Decision-making: This section outlines how major decisions regarding the child (e.g. education, medical treatment) will be made and who has the final say in each area.
– Child support: This section outlines the financial support that will be provided by the non-custodial parent, pursuant to the Federal Child Support Guidelines.
– Dispute resolution: This section outlines how disputes between the parents will be resolved (e.g. mediation, arbitration) and may also include a provision for updating the agreement in the future.
It is important to note that while custody agreement templates can provide a solid foundation, they do not replace the need for legal advice. If you have any questions or concerns about creating a custody agreement in Alberta, it is recommended that you consult with a family law lawyer.
In summary, using a custody agreement template specific to Alberta can be a helpful starting point for creating a custody agreement that complies with the Family Law Act. However, it is important to seek legal advice to ensure that the agreement meets your specific needs and complies with all legal requirements.